BUILDING OUR FUTURE WITH NATURE
Roots have two important meanings for COSUCRA: it refers to our own foundations but also to our close connection with local agricultural and economic environment.
COSUCRA is a family company with a well-rooted and modern history of over 170 years of experience with a successful heritage: the assurance of a reliable company, close to all its partners. Our journey witnesses of our ambition to anticipate trends and consumer needs to adapt our solutions, and that is what makes our strength:
- 1852 : Build of a sugar plant in the village of Warcoing, Belgium (BE) for sugar extraction from beets
- 1852 – 1980: Evolution of the sugar factory despite wars, crisis, and establishment of sugar quotas
- 1982: First production of chicory-based ingredients with chicory fructose
- 1986 : First production of chicory root fibre (inulin)
- 1990: First production of pea protein
- 2003, stop and integration of the sugar production in Iscal Sugar
- 2006: Stop of the production of chicory fructose and merge into COSUCRA Groupe Warcoing with pea and chicory subsidiaries, R&D activities, agricultural division, seeds activity (CHICOLINE) and feed activity (SOCODE)
- 2015: Management innovation with implementation of the liberating business model
- From 2017 : continuous investments in pea and chicory plants to guarantee state-of-the art technology
From the very beginning, COSUCRA chose the naturality with its 2 raw materials – yellows pea and chicory – and sustainability as the core of its development. We want to play a key role in the economic development of the region while promoting agricultural products thanks to the help of farmers.
I INTEND TO STRENGTHEN COSUCRA’S ROLE IN PROVIDING FOOD INGREDIENTS OFFERED BY MOTHER NATURE AND FORMULATED INTO CONSUMERS PRODUCTS THAT NOT ONLY REDUCES SIGNIFICANTLY CARBON EMISSIONS BUT ALSO IMPROVES HEALTH AND WELLNESS IN OUR GLOBAL SOCIETY… […]. TO ME, THIS PURPOSE-DRIVEN JOURNEY IS AT THE CORE OF OUR FAMILY’S VALUES THAT HAS SPANNED 170 YEARS, AND IT IS A PRIVILEGE TO BE PART OF IT.
Today more than ever, health is at the centre of people’s concerns. Because we believe in the power of nutrition on our wellbeing, health is an important part of our strategy. We commit to promote modern and healthy food by offering ingredients that respects consumer choices; naturalness, free from, low sugar and fat foods, protein and fibre supplement, clean label, etc. Our ingredients serve a global cause: meet consumers’ need in the food transition towards a healthy and sustainable nutrition by being active in contemporary markets:
COSUCRA is continually growing and adapts its structure to the evolution of its market needs and environment. Therefore, we are constantly looking for new talents to fit this growth and to ensure innovation for our processes, ingredients, and concepts. We place great emphasis on continuous training and self-accomplishment of our members to ensure quality throughout our processes, from farm to fork. With over 300 employees, our company has been able to pave the way for cultural blends to broaden its horizons and create new ways of working.
Because we build our future with Nature, our vision stands in our unfailing commitment to a future in harmony with our planet. We are aware our world is facing major climate change challenges, as they start to be felt everywhere. We are deeply committed to be a game changer by looking at our process and ingredients to lower our environmental impact. For the people, for the future and for the planet.
- At the core of our activity, our engagement begins with the choice of the raw materials we work with. Locally sourced, chicory and yellow peas have limited environmental impact:
- Fit regenerative agriculture farming principles to improve soil health and soil fertility
- High quality and sustainable selection criteria
- Highly water efficient
- No need for irrigation
- Low demand for nitrogen fertilizers
- Strong partnership with cooperatives and farmers
Discover here our environmental report !
COSUCRA has always been able to transform itself, in harmony with its times, social setting and environment. Today, it is with the ambition and a heightened concern for the environment that we have committed to ecological transition. We are determined to adapt the business to support the environment transition. We translate our ecological transition mainly, but not only, into 7 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) commitments by 2030:
- Develop and offer healthy, reliable, high-quality products from sustainable agriculture (50% of supply by 2030)
- Reduce COSUCRA’s carbon footprint by 50% by 2030 by improving process efficiency by 20% and limiting the use of fossil fuels to 50% of 2019 consumption
- Ensure a sustainable water management (30% less water in processes by 2030)
- Contribute significantly to training in agricultural and food production technologies and techniques
- Ensure maximum recovery of by-products and reduction of environmental impact on the neighbourhood
- Develop a company where people can flourish
- Improve biodiversity on all company sites and land
WORLD CLASS MANUFACTURING
With an ideal location at the heart of Europe and a long experience of more than 30 years, we guarantee high-quality ingredients. We are always on the lookout for operational excellence thanks to state-of-the-art technologies:
- Gentle processes
- ISO 14001 and FSSC 22000
- Investments for modern technologies
- Performance monitoring to ensure optimized output
- Valorization of raw materials
INNOVATION FROM PLANTS TO CONCEPTS
COSUCRA supports its customers to be the best option on the shelf through an integrated system of innovation at 3 levels: processes, ingredients, and food and drink concepts. Thanks to our R&D dedicated teams and a strong know-how, we assist customers and partners to meet new dietary needs and consumption trends worldwide. Our 360° ecosystem of university, research institutes, associations, innovative clusters allow us to be at the forefront of the latest trends and innovation in food industry.
Our presence around the world ensures a global strategy adapted to the local needs. Our teams – COSUCRA and our network of dedicated partners – bring a quick and flexible support to all our customers and prospects. Focused on the customers’ expectations and needs, we are committed to ensure quality and traceability for each of our ingredients in full transparency.
- Headquarter, pea and chicory plants in Belgium,
- American subsidiary COSUCRA Inc. in Chicago,
- US Sales office and R&D in Shanghai,
- China Distribution network in more than 60 countries